Tuesday, October 4, 2011

The Life and Times of King Manasseh

2 Chronicles 33

Today I am looking at chapter 33 of the book of 2 Chronicles. This chapter was brought to my attention last week by our interim pastor. It depicts the reign of the longest reigning King in Jerusalem: Manasseh. I find interesting parallels for all of us in our daily lives in this story.

Manasseh's father, Hezekiah, had torn down the groves and high places used for pagan sacrifice and worship during his reign. In obedience to God, Hezekiah spent his reign bringing the children of Israel back to the worship of the Lord. However, when Manasseh began to reign at the age of 12, he turned a complete 180.

Manasseh started his reign by once again building up the groves and high places for pagan worship. He placed a carved idol in the House of the Lord. Most significantly, he led his people down a path of idolatry and evil. Manasseh set an example for his people by sacrificing his own children by fire to pagan gods. This is the smallest portion of what he did.

In answer to Manasseh's dark deeds, the Lord had him kidnapped and taken to Babylon by the King of Assyria. Only then was Manasseh able to see what he had done wrong and humble himself before the Lord. Only then was able to repent of his deeds and beg for a chance for forgiveness and redemption. When Manasseh was restored to his throne, he once again followed his father's example. He tore down the groves and high places, removed the idols from the House of the Lord and led his people in proper worship of God.

On the surface this might seem like a far-removed event from a long time ago. However, it has direct relations to our lives today. While Manasseh was redeemed and was able to turn things around, his surviving son, Amon, had already learned his father's evil ways. When Manasseh was laid to rest, Amon began to reign at the age of 22. He followed in his father's early footsteps, turning back to a way of idolatry. Where Manasseh reigned for 55 years and was given time to repent and redeem his reign, his son Amon was not so fortunate. His servants conspired and slew him, cutting his reign to a short two years before he was replaced by his eight year old son, Josiah.

What we can take from this is that our children see everything we do. Whether we are burning incense to a foreign God or simply watching television all the time-they see what we do and they learn it. Amon learned his father's evil ways better than his redemption. Amon acted on those evil ways and was slain because of it. What will Amon say when he faces the Lord on judgement day? My daddy made me do it? I don't think God will listen to that. But Manasseh will have to answer for it as well since he was the one who raised Amon.

As parents and even friends we are all responsible for the example we set for others. If we avoid people when they are hurting, we tell them we don't want to help. If we watch TV all day and night, we show our children that television is our main focus, not God or our children. What is your grove or idol that takes all your time? It might be television, shopping, books, food, or any number of things. What are you showing your friends and children is your main focus?

From the story of Manasseh we can learn that it's crucial that we show our loved ones what we truly hold dear. I want to show my children that they are precious not only in God's sight but in mine. I want them to know that they are more important than television or food. (Can you tell what my trouble stone is here? You got it, television!) So here are a list of the things I resolve to focus on and do to help my children and loved ones:

* Make sure I start each day with a prayer. Whether they see me pray or not, my children will benefit as will I when I begin my day in the presence of God.
* When I get home to the children, sit down with them during snack time. By spending solid time with them, they know that I love them. If I can show them my focus on them and God, they might better find their focus to finish homework quickly.
* Keep the TV off most of the time the children are awake. When they see me watching less television, they can follow my example and find better uses for their time. Like prayer and quality family time. Which am I like to remember tomorrow- a game of Sequence with the kids or the plot to yet another Law & Order?
* Pray with the kids when they go to bed.
* Call my friends when they are quiet or need help. This is a tough one for me as I get nervous about making phone calls. There's no reason for it at all-it's just how I am. It's not uncommon for me to consider that a friend might need a call when I haven't seen her in awhile. What is rare is that I actually make the call. Doing so shows my friends and loved ones that I am thinking of them. Jesus did not wait for the masses to come to him-he traveled to their cities so they could see him. I need to make the same effort.

So these are just a few of the things I have taken from 2 Chronicles 33, the life of Manasseh. I hope they help you as much as they have helped me.

Father God, forgive me this day for those things I have put ahead of you. Help me to keep my eyes on you and show my children what is truly important. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment